About the program
We are proposing a strategically targeted multi-year plan to dramatically improve 3rd grade reading proficiency. Our policy will include measures for Prevention, Student Identification, Student Interventions and Support, and Educator Support.
For kids, this means:
- More reading coaches and reading interventionists in high-need schools
- Better literacy curriculum and aligned teacher training
- Reduction of chronic absenteeism (a key driver of low levels of literacy)
- Finding struggling readers early (K-1st grade)
- Promoting caregiver education and workforce development in early literacy for children ages 0-5.
- Developing a plan within 45 days to support struggling readers
- Summer literacy classes
- View the legislation filed: An Act relative to early literacy education
Project Director, Irene E. and George A. Davis Foundation
John Gabrieli Ph.D.
Neuroscientist at MIT, Associate Member of the McGovern Institute for Brain Research.
Sally Grimes Ed.M.
Founder of The Grimes Reading Institute
Francis Lunney, M.S.T., C.A.S.
Elementary School Reading Specialist
Bay State Reading Institute Co-Founder and Executive Director
Director of Early Education for All
Sean Palfrey, MD
Professor of Pediatrics and Public Health at Boston University School of Medicine / Boston Medical Center
Reverend Clyde D. Talley
Belmont A.M.E. Zion Church
Barry S. Zuckerman, MD
Professor of Pediatrics, Boston University School of Medicine / Boston Medical Center
Founder of Reach out and Read